Last Week of Inferring in RTi

We wrapped up inferring this past week with a lot of reviewing.  We looked back at the SMART Notebook I had been creating as we worked through each lesson keeping track of "hints"

Text Clues
+ What you know

I wanted to end with a fun activity and unfortunately I forgot to take pictures :(  I created a simple form for my RTi students to fill out

Three things about myself:

1. _______________________________

2. _______________________________

3. _______________________________

Each line gave a clue about them + a self portrait all glued to a black construction paper would create a inferring end-of-the-unit project.  Because our RTi sessions are only 30 minutes long, this activity from start to finish took two days.  

To make this somewhat more structured and easier for my students I gave them guidelines for the three things about themselves.

#1--are you a boy or girl ("I am a girl")

#2--what color hair do you have ("I have blonde hair")

#3--who is your teacher ("Ms. O'Brien is my teacher")
Number three really helped us figure out who was who because we mix up students from five different classrooms for our RTi groups (based on abilities).  

When I glued the self portraits (to the top) and the three things paper (to the bottom) to the black construction paper, I had a great idea!  I glued just the top section of the three things paper to the black construction paper so that it could flap up.  Under the flap I gave each student a long sticky note to write their name on.  

Finally, we gathered at the carpet space and I read the clues... and they guessed every single one correct, LOL!!!  I think I made #3 too big of a clue, but they had a great time with this and it was the perfect way to end inferring in our RTi group.

To finish out inferring in my own classroom, before we took the Post Test, I found a super fun activity here and tweaked it slightly to be an inferring activity.  It was a perfectly timed activity as we had just had a week off from school because of snow.  Yes, a whole week!

One of many, many creative clues my students came up with:

What animal do you think it is.... 

Last chance to make your inference....

A killer whale!!!!  

Weren't the clues great :)  I love the "It sounds like a ghost!"clue :)  I totally thought owl the first time I read his clues!

After everyone finished their project (which we glued to a long piece of black construction paper) we did a seat switch activity.  The way a seat switch works is quite simple... and my students love it!

I call "SEAT SWITCH" and usually ding my special chime and students safely move to another classmate's seat, sit down, and begin to read his or her clues.  I passed out a form to each student to write down their inference before they looked under the snow pile...and then give the creator a compliment on their clues and drawing.  We were able to do 4 seat switches (and only two of those I required my students to do a written inference).


The blue line shows each student's pre test score (on a 4, 3, 2, 1 grading scale where 4 = exceeds standard, 3 = meets standard, 2 = approaching standard, and 1 = below standard) and the red line shows student growth on post test!  

My students went from 0% meeting standard to 68% meeting standard!  My students who did not meet standard are my SPED students and ELL students.  They improved though.  They may still have scored a 1 but on their pre test they got 0 out of 12 points and on the post they got 5 out of 12 points.  That is a huge gain in 30 min x 3 times a week x about 4 weeks.  I am proud of them!  And I know they can infer and explain their inferring strategies just at a more basic level than the post test was at.

They made growth, had fun, and made me proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment