12.15.2012

Sandy Hook School {day of silence}

Tomorrow, Sunday, December 16th, I will honor and remember the children and adults from Sandy Hook School, who lost their lives on Friday. I will be participating in a Day of Silence. I hope you join me.
My dad called me on my lunch break Friday to see if I had heard the awful news. I hadn't. I immediately got on the Internet and as my heart melted, goosebumps spread across my body and I thought of my 27 students outside at recess. I was instantly thankful to be in Washington State, far, far away from this tragedy. My thankfulness was quickly followed by heartbreak...then guilt for feeling thankful.

I wanted to call my students inside from recess early, close the blinds, and just talk with them. I didn't want to talk about what had happened, but I just wanted time to connect with them, to remember that they are children of parents who are at home and at work right now also hearing about Sandy Hook with their hearts breaking, thanking a higher power that their child is safe and unaware of the tragedy. They are most likely also imagining what those families in CT are going through and the feelings they were experiencing as they waited anxiously to be reunited with their children...or to learn that their child would not be coming home tonight. 


We are all thinking about you. We are all praying for you. Your children will not be forgotten. 


This will never make sense. But I am hopeful that something good will come out of this, we will learn something... I was reminded to take more time to get to know my students as the children that they are. The poem below says it all.







No comments:

Post a Comment